Lamar Matthews is co-founder of Eastmoore, Crauwels & DuBose along with Ted Eastmoore having begun the Firm in 1991. Lamar continues today as Of Counsel. A few accomplishments over 50 years as a practicing Civil Trial Lawyer are listed below:
- In 2014, 12th Judicial Circuit Judges selected Lamar as one of 10 “Legal Legends” among lawyers and judges in Sarasota.
- Florida Governor, Bob Graham chose Lamar to serve as Governor’s General Counsel.
- President, University of Florida’s Law School’s Student Body.
- President, Young Lawyers Section, The Florida Bar.
- Member, The Florida Bar’s Board of Governors.
- Member, The Florida Board of Bar Examiners.
- Member, United States District Judicial Nominating Commission for Florida.
- General Counsel, School Board of Sarasota County.
- Represented the Sarasota-Manatee Airport Authority, the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office, the Palm Beach County Airport Authority, and the City of Gainesville, Florida.
- Advocate for Sarasota libraries, elected to Library Foundation Board.
- Advocate for good government at local, state and federal levels.
Lamar is married to Janet Snyder Matthews, Ph.D. Following her doctoral dissertation on African American history in Florida, she served from 1999 through 2004 as State Historic Preservation Officer and Director, Division of Historical Resources, Florida Department of State. From 2004 through 2009, Dr. Matthews was Associate Director for Cultural Resources and Keeper, National Register of Historic Places in the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C. In 2010 she joined the University of Florida faculty, teaching historic preservation law and practices for graduate students. Dr. Matthews is Historical Research Advisor to the President, Ringling College of Art + Design.
Memberships & Involvement
- The Florida Bar
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar Board of Governors, Past Member
- Florida Board of Bar Examiners, Past Member
- Federal Judicial Nominating Commission, Florida, Past Member
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, Grievance Committee, Past Member
- General Counsel to Governor Bob Graham
- Sarasota Kiwanis Club, Past President and National Convention Delegate
- Manatee Community College n/k/a State College of Florida, Former Trustee
- Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon for Muscular Dystrophy, Former Local Co-Anchor
- Sarasota Boys Club Telethon, Former Co-Anchor
- Cardinal Mooney High School Telethon, Former Co-Anchor
- Florida West Coast Symphony Orchestra, Past Board of Directors
- American Lung Association, Sarasota-Manatee Chapter, Past Board of Directors
- Manatee Jaycees, Past Board of Directors
- Sarasota United Way, Past Board of Directors; Chair, Professional Division
- Manatee Players, Actor
- Master of Ceremonies for many Manatee and Sarasota Community Events
- JD. University of Florida 1967 (replaced LL.B. conferred 1964)
- BA. Stetson University 1961
- All Florida Courts 1964
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida 1966
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court 1985
- U.S. Claims Court 1987
HONORS & AWARDS
- AV Preeminent Rating Martindale Hubbell 36 years
- America’s Top Lawyers, Business Litigation 2001-2002
- Gulf Coast Business Review, Top Lawyers of Sarasota and Manatee 2002
- Super Lawyers, Top Attorneys in Florida 2007
- Florida Super Lawyers 2009-2014
- Judge John M. Scheb American Inn of Court Professionalism Award 2008
- Top Attorneys in Sarasota, Sarasota Magazine Super Lawyer Section 2009
- Top Attorneys in Florida, Wall Street Journal 2011
- Florida’s Best Lawyers, Bet the Company Litigation 2014
- Super Lawyers, Tampa’s Super Lawyers 2015
- Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Real Estate – Sarasota 2017
- Judge Lynn N. Silvertooth Award – Outstanding Service to the Judiciary
CONTACT EASTMOORE CRAUWELS & DUBOSE
The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form. We do not undertake representation of your claims until all parties involved have entered into a signed agreement. If we have not entered into a signed agreement with you, you may want to speak with other attorneys regarding your claims since statutes of limitations may apply.